What you need to know about Prostate Disorders
1. What are the symptoms of Prostate Disorders?
In general, symptomatology of prostate disorders can be divided into the following:
- Urinary dysfunction
- Sexual symptoms
2. Can Prostatitis be cured?
Yes, it can be cured for as long as it is diagnosed properly.
3. Are all men bound to have a prostate disorder during their lifetime?
It is estimated that one out of four men will experience symptoms referable to the prostate, by age 40.
4. Is Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) related to Prostatitis?
Yes, BPH occurs as a long-term sequelae of Prostatitis.
5. Is an elevated Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) level an indication for Prostatitis?
PSA blood levels may or may not increase in Prostatitis. It is used to monitor diagnosed cases of Prostate Cancer and should never be used to screen prostate disorders.
6. What is/are the diet and lifestyle modifications for people with prostate disorders?
There are no dietary restrictions. Sexual responsibility is an important lifestyle modification to achieve a permanently healthy prostate.
7. What do I need to expect during a prostate check?
Digital Rectal Examination and Trans rectal ultrasound examinations are only uncomfortable but never painful.
8. How often should I have my prostate checked?
Once a year.
9. Are there any alternative or herbal medicines for prostate disorders?
Recent studies have shown that alternative and herbal medicines have no place in the management and treatment of prostate disorders.